Thursday, October 25, 2007

Thing 15: The Future of Libraries

After reading the perspectives on Web 2.0 and the future of libraries, I think these people have some very interesting ideas about where libraries are headed. I definitely agree that we have to make our services available to people where they are, rather than patrons having to come to where we are. However, I think there is a happy medium. I don't think libraries as we know it are completely obselete. I'm 26 years old, putting me in the generation that is into computer in every way. However, I still like to read a good book, a real book with a cover and pages, not an "ebook". I believe research tools and materials have to be more accessible to patrons online. People doing research want their information available right now and they want it up to date. However, I think there will always be pleasure readers out there who want real books. I also think the library offers a great working environment. As a grad student and a mom, I need to do work away from little ones and noise and that is not going to happen at my house. I need a quiet place to go and if the library wasn't available, I don't know where I would go. Overall, as I said, I think there is a happy medium here where we are incorporating new tools and technologies while still maintaining a good physical collection and both will meet patron needs.

No comments: